Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Family


Family means different things to different people and many of us get caught up in what we think or want our family to be. These days it’s probably impossible to find a definition for family that everyone would agree with. There are the traditionalists who view family as only the one we are related to by blood and often only the immediate members. There are many who view family as only the one we originate from regardless of how things may actually be in our lives. Then there are people who view family as anything that works for them and of course there are many in-between.

I’m not an expert in families – besides my own that is, and what I believe family to be. I may offend people when I say this but I really believe that family can be anything and everything you want or need it to be. It can be a mom and dad and kids, it can be a same sex couple with or without children, and it can be college roommates. It can be any group of people who love and care for each other and depend on one another and see themselves as family. I don’t believe we need to put a label on a family to make people happy. I can be opinionated (it’s one of the things I like best about myself actually) and this is one of the times when my back gets up and out fly my beliefs. Our world is made up of so many different people, different needs and different wants so we should have as many kinds of families as needed for everyone to feel a part of one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment