Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Change is in the Air!

I’ve been thinking, and if you’ve been reading, I can see how it might appear that I’m bothered by aging. It’s not the aging so much as the changes in my life and my body that are the problem. I mentioned in my last post about still feeling thirtyish and I really do – except when it’s time to chase after the dog or get up out of bed when I’ve been sleeping flat on my back. I know I can’t complain because I have well and truly done this to myself. A short 8 years ago I was working out daily....logging about 7 – 10 hours training a week and eating like a healthy cook book author. Now I can’t even remember the last ‘real’ workout I had and by real I mean something besides walking the dogs or dancing like a dork around my kitchen when no one is watching.

I would very much like to blame Jon for the changes because they coincide with his entrance into my life but that would be irresponsible and untrue. It is true that Jon loves his junk food and that his idea of activity is mowing the lawn (we have a ride on mower), however he never once made me eat potato chips or Chinese food – I’ve done that all on my own. Now I have to deal with the consequences.

I know how to do this because I’ve been into fitness and nutrition my whole life. I used to be a dancer, then I was a (very amateur) bodybuilder and as mentioned up until 8 years ago I exercised on a daily basis. Having the know how hasn’t motivated me to do anything – and I mean anything, besides the odd week or so of effort here and there. Clearly not enough to make any changes in my health or fitness levels. The only thing I’ve done consistently the last couple of years is talk about it....a lot. Thank God my family is patient J

So the change that I’ve been feeling lately is the desire and the intention to get healthy and fit again. I’m really looking forward to feeling good about myself and my body again; although I have to be completely honest and say I’m really not looking forward to all the hard work. It’s not about the number on the scale (although pounds lost are definitely part of the deal). It’s about feeling healthy and whole and fit. It’s about enjoying my body and activity again. Mostly it’s about getting my outside Lynne to match my inside Lynne. I have a very strong idea about what healthy and whole means for me and that’s what I’m working toward.

I’m going to explore and talk about my vision of health and wellness here this week. I invite you to join me. I’d very much like to hear what other women have to say about the state of their health and wellness and what it means to them. Please tell me your thoughts here (if my comments will work!), on my Facebook page or email me at insideouthealthandwellness@gmail.com. I’m looking forward to hearing from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment