Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Friendship

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom. 
~Marcel Proust


I was inspired by this quote and a homework assignment Bradley was working on last night.  He was supposed to find a quote and summarize what the quote meant to him in a word or two. To Bradley this quote means friends/friendship.

Friendship is something I’ve been giving a lot of thought to lately. Because I’m very introverted and shy I’ve never had many friends. I decided shortly after my Dad died that I needed more people in my life. Seems simple enough right? To most people it is – in fact to about 80% of the population it’s an easy thing. We live in an extroverted/outgoing world and to an introvert it can be an incredibly intimidating place to be.

I used to wish to be more outgoing but it never happened and now I’m glad it didn’t. I’m finally happy to be as introverted as I am. I enjoy what it brings into my life and who I am because of it. However, as I said, I decided I needed more people – more friends in my life and this required a great deal of thought (did I mention how introverted I am? J). This is one of the reasons I decided to start my blog and put myself out there a little more. I know I need to be open to people and to possible friends for friendship to happen so that’s what I’ve been working on. It’s interesting how a simple change in attitude has brought new people into my life and deepened some of my existing relationships. It makes me wonder why I didn’t make this change years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment