Monday, October 31, 2011

7 Billion And Counting

We’ve all known it was coming and according to the UN, today’s the day. Our world’s population has hit 7 billion people. That means (if you’re keeping track) that the world has gained 1 billion people since 1999 – 12 years!

Do people care? I honestly don’t know. When I was first labelled an ‘environmentalist’ it wasn’t a good thing. I often got called a ‘tree hugger’ and it was used as a derogatory term. Since that day being green has become trendy, annoying and then trendy again.  I can’t keep up with the current labels – good or bad.

What I really don’t understand is how a person can be anything but an advocate for our environment. Imagine for a moment our world without nature, without trees and animals and the beauty that is our natural world. Forget for a moment that we can’t survive without it; just take a second and think honestly how our lives would be without all the things that encompass our environment.

Our earth and all the living things on it; plant and animal alike deserve our respect and our care. I realize we can’t all do everything suggested but we can all make a difference. How difficult is it to use your green bin, or CFL bulbs? What about turning down your heat a little, what about choosing to walk to the corner store?

With 7 billion of us sharing our planet right now we can’t wait for our children to do the right thing...we need to leave the earth for them – not take it from them.

2 comments:

  1. While living off-grid isn't for everyone; it has amazed me how much I can do without... And I wouldn't trade my campfire coffee for my old auto-timed 12 cup brewer: EVER!! lol xo Great post, L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! Thanks for the comment. I could live off grid. In fact I hope to someday in the not too distant future.I can live without a lot of things too..I don't want to imagine Jon giving up his coffee though!!

    ReplyDelete