Thursday, October 27, 2011

Barriers to Love Part 2

I’ve been thinking a lot about what I wrote in Barriers to Love the other day. About how I often make choices and decisions from a place of fear rather than a place of love; although this is something I’ve known about myself for a very long time, I all of a sudden feel the need to change it.

Which of course, brings up the question of how. How does a person change a long seated habit – especially one as personal as how we see the world? A good friend of mine once told me that people who grow up in secure loving households are well adjusted and secure people, and those of us who grow up in unstable dysfunctional households are insecure and afraid. So if seeing my world the way I do comes from my dysfunctional childhood, how do I change it now as an adult?

As usual I seem to have more questions than answers.

“Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.” - Bill Cosby

I came upon this quote this morning and I wonder if it doesn’t answer my questions in the simplest way possible. 

I won’t know if it’s that simple until I give it a try; and of course I’m afraid to try it but habits don’t change without effort so I’m going to give it my very best shot. I will of course let you know how it goes.

1 comment: