Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Barriers to Love

“Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

I’m feeling extra introverted and a little melancholy this morning, and when I read this quote it got me thinking of all the ways I build barriers to love. I know it’s something we all do for a variety of reasons but today in particular it’s bothering me.

Spiritual books and self help books tell us that we live either from a place of fear or a place of love and I know all too often I choose fear and right now as I sit here thinking of my barriers to love that would be my biggest one.

By nature I’m not a brave woman. I won’t ever be sailing around the world alone, or jumping out of an airplane. It’s unlikely that I will ever scale the side of a mountain or fly a helicopter but I like to believe that I can look within myself without any reservations. I try hard to be self aware and that takes a certain kind of courage too.

We can’t fully experience our lives with too many barriers in place. They get in the way of not only love, but also of joy and fulfillment. So today while I’m pondering my life I’m going to think about ways to live from love and rather than building barriers I hope that maybe – just maybe, I can tear a few of them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment