Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Growing Pains

When I was little and couldn’t sleep because I’d played too hard or worn myself out my Grandmother would always tell me I was having growing pains. As I got older growing pains grew to encompass so many different things; the discomfort of starting a new school (and there were many), my first training bra, being taller than everyone else in elementary school – yes those of you who know me may now laugh! Peer pressure, my first boyfriend, my first break up, my first hangover, we all know the milestones that mark our way in life – “just growing pains” Nanny would tell me.

The implication was always that sooner or later I’d out grow growing pains because I’d grow up. Makes sense, right? As a girl I looked forward to that day. I associated being grown up with not having growing pains. I can actually remember being about eleven and being aware of one of the girls down the street being seventeen and I thought she seemed so grown up. I decided then and there that I would be grown up by then and no longer would growing pains be my struggle. Nanny really should have clued me in – growing pains never stop. They are always a part of life because we are forever growing. 

Once we’re grown up and have children of our own the growing pains double. We still have our own and now we have our children’s too. I’m going to go out on a limb here and make the assumption that once we have grandbabies we’ll also have theirs to feel too. 

I think I’m going through a period of intense growing pains (at my age, some might call them collectively a mid-life crisis). The catalyst for all of this? Bradley’s not going to play football next year. I know, I know, this should be his growing pain to deal with. I’ve been involved in football every season for the last 25 years and I can’t (right now) imagine my life without it. Then you throw in the fact that Shane will be 21 soon and Bradley 17 soon after that and you have growing pains.

What’s a person to do; besides keep right on growing?  There’s always something going on in our lives that encourage us to grow and move forward. Instead of bemoaning, I want to embrace the changes. Isn’t that one of the things we all want – the ability to embrace change and go with the flow of our lives?  

No comments:

Post a Comment