Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Surrender

You know the expression – Let go, let God? What does that mean exactly? I’m reading a book about surrender and how to ‘let go’ of the false sense of control we think we have over our lives and I’m having trouble with the whole concept.

I’m a struggler...I’ve known it for a long time. I’ve also known that life doesn’t need to be so difficult all the time. Which brings me to the concept of surrender – it brings me to letting God be in charge. I’m a big believer of Him being in charge, but how exactly does that happen? I can’t wrap my brain comfortably around this.

The book I’m reading says that if the concept is difficult for you then ask yourself how your life would be different if you could let go of the control you think you have. Imagine yourself surrendering and see the potential.

I know that control is an illusion we all share, but it’s a comfortable one for me. Does that mean that surrender is simply too uncomfortable for me to practice? I don’t know the answer to that either. All I know right now is that I’ve used some version of the word comfort three times in this short post and that gives me something to think about.

Today instead of asking myself what role surrender plays in my life I need to ask myself why comfort is so important to me. Does discomfort lead to surrender and therefore to less struggle? There are always more questions than answers – I guess all I can do today is be comfortable with them! J

No comments:

Post a Comment