Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fall Fantasies

The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
The humble sheep a threat’ning horn;
While the Lily white shall in Love delight,
Nor a thorn, nor a threat, stain her beauty bright.

~William Blake, ‘The Lily”

As most of you know I love gardening and especially flowers. This time of year I start to get a little sad without my garden to poke around in. My guys don’t buy me flowers quite as often as I might like so I have to take things into my own hands occasionally. The last time I was at the grocery store I picked myself up a small bouquet; and while they’re lovely they’re just not quite enough.


With fall here and winter just around the corner I know my flower fixes will be few and far between for the next several months. Each year right about now I have a little fantasy about becoming a florist; then all my days would be spent surrounded by flowers....aahhh, just thinking about it always makes me smile.


I love this poem by William Blake so much that I’ve often thought about making the first words the name of my floral business. ‘The Modest Rose’ would make a lovely name for a florist I think. This little fantasy, the odd bouquet here and there and my plans for next summer’s garden will just have to satisfy me through another winter I guess.


4 comments:

  1. I remember when you told me about your idea for a florist called "The Modest Rose". :) I still think it's an awesome name. Don't give up on your flower shop idea! I definitely think that's something you can do at any age though, so no rush right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you'd remember that! :-) I haven't given up on it...I'm just (still) trying to figure out what the right thing to do is. Imagine that - lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne:
    Nice blog. And don't forget that there may be a bookstore in your future (another passion of yours).
    Henry Black had a terrific bookstore in Ottawa then retired from the Government here and opened another bookstore in Hamilton, ON.

    His story and a terrific picture of his old bookstore are here: http://hamilton.openfile.ca/hamilton/file/2011/05/black-leaves-legacy-books

    ... Allan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Allan,

    Thanks for commenting...great link. Maybe that'll be me,who knows - I certainly don't right now. Maybe a gardening/florist/bookstore/photo studio?? Oh the possibilities!! LOL :-)

    ReplyDelete