Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Tuesdays With Morrie

Bradley had to pick a book for his independent novel study for his grade 11 English class a couple of weeks ago and the list was pretty long. He’s not much of a reader so we decided that the shortest book he could read would probably be the best choice....it happened to be Tuesdays With Morrie; which is one of my very favourite books.

I’ve read it several times (and seen the movie a few times too). Bradley asked me to read it with him and I read it yesterday. No matter how many times I read it I never fail to learn something new or gain an insight that I missed the times before.

It’s such a wonderful book about the meaning of life and how important love and authenticity are to a fulfilling human experience. The title says it all really...Tuesdays with Morrie, an old man, a young man, and life’s greatest lesson.

What is life’s greatest lesson? Is it different for each of us? I don’t think it is – we all need the same things. We all need to love and be loved. We all need connections and to know that we matter to someone. Each one of us needs a community and belonging. Without these things life might go on but it is far less than it can be. Tuesdays with Morrie is a gentle reminder of how we can prioritize our lives for our greatest happiness; if you haven’t already read it, I recommend it whole heartedly!

No comments:

Post a Comment