Thursday, January 26, 2012

Before and After

I’ve been discouraged lately about the amount of work Jon and I have done on our home since we bought it. All the jobs seem to be dragging on forever. There are many reasons for why things have gone slower than I thought they would. Money and time constraints top the list – of course.

When we bought this house we talked about it being a 5 year plan, we’re only 17 months in (and actually ahead of schedule), so I shouldn’t be whining, but some days I just want to be done with it all.

It doesn’t help that I read old house magazines and old house/farmhouse blogs. They always show these absolutely beautiful, over the top elegant homes. They show kitchen and bath renovations that often cost more than the purchase price of my home. They very rarely show budget renos or modest homes. I know this.  And yet I’ve been feeling a little discouraged.

I’ve never bought a ready to move into home – I never have, and I think it’s pretty safe to say I never will. It’s just not what I do. Jon and I want to make this home exactly what we dream about – a well done (read – not over the top) modest farmhouse that’s comfortable for us, for our family and for our friends. I’ve said it many times before and it bears repeating; we bought our home for many reasons, the most important one to us is our beautiful property.

I was going through pictures the other day looking for a shot of our front porch (see I have a Sunroom - if you haven’t already) and after I found the one I wanted I went back to look at the pictures again...I mean really look at them. WOW!! A not so gentle reminder of all we’ve done here. I went from frustrated and discouraged to amazed in about 5 minutes. We have a lot to do yet but we’ve come a long way already.

I’ll never have one of those fancy farmhouses you see in magazines. I’m not going to wake up any morning soon to discover my home has grown from 1800 square feet to 4000 square feet. I don’t have 6 bedrooms and bathrooms and that’s perfectly OK with me. Looking at our before pictures reminded me of our dream for this place – for our home, and for our life together. I’ve fallen in love with my home again....and I’m so grateful to be here. 

This is the kitchen window during, you wouldn't
believe the before even if I showed you!!

The kitchen window now. My sunroom is the
room you can see through the window.  

No comments:

Post a Comment