Monday, February 6, 2012

My Spiritual Perspective

I live my life from a spiritual perspective; not so much by choice, more by design. I came this way. It’s very simple – being spiritual is how I’m made. I was born more sensitive than most, more introverted than many and certainly more prone to enjoy solitude than anyone I’ve met so far.

Because this is my natural way I’ve always been drawn to others who share my love of spirit and personal growth (yes – they most certainly go together). I’ve been reading religious, spiritual and self help books my whole life. I follow many authors, teachers and spiritual leaders on Facebook, I watch those obscure PBS television specials and I enjoy deep meaningful conversation, but – and this is a big but; I have recently come to realize how incredibly pretentious many of these people can be.

Of course I don’t mean all of them or all the time and it’s certainly only my opinion having never really met any of them. But I have noticed a certain amount of showmanship and downright phoniness in some of them from time to time. It’s like they believe they are somehow better than the rest of us ‘regular folk’.

I’m certainly regular folk. I enjoy a glass or two of wine from time to time, I prefer my pyjamas to a power suit and I have to admit that my favourite word is probably fuck.  Does this make me any less spiritual than all the authors and teachers I enjoy reading? NO WAY!!!

Spirituality has to encompass who we are and our humanness or it’s useless. If we can’t be both who we are and spiritual at the same time it’s of no value to us or our lives. 

I consider my spirituality to be the most amazing gift of who I am this time around and it compliments my life in such a way that I believe my life is much better because of it. In fact I can’t imagine a life without believing in God, without meditation and creative pursuits. I simply can’t imagine looking at nature and not seeing a miracle, or looking at my children and not being amazed that they came to me.

I know there are many people who don’t consider themselves to be religious or spiritual in any way and I can’t imagine how people who aren’t spiritual get through life because my faith and my way of being and seeing the world are what get me through the good days and the bad ones.

We don’t need authors/teachers/spiritual and religious leaders who pretend to be something they’re not; we need teachers who embody being human and help us live well by showing us the best ways to be human and spiritual at the same time. 

2 comments:

  1. This was interesting to read, Lynne. :)
    I must say one of my biggest pet peeves is people who think that just because they go to church every Sunday and believe in God, they are automatically good people. I'm really not religious in any way, so it bothers me even more when they somehow think they are superior to others just because they go to church.
    I love the fact that you are spiritual for very personal reasons and don't feel the need to shove it in other people's faces. I think there would be a lot less issues in the world if people had the same attitude towards faith and religion as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teal. I agree with you...church attendance doesn't automatically make people better people (although it can), it really depends on the person and why they go to church.

      L

      Delete