Friday, March 16, 2012

Being Vulnerable

Reading through some of the other blogs on Wishcasting Wednesday (Wishcasting Wednesday - Jamie Ridler Studios) I was struck by the honesty of the wishes and the vulnerability of many of the women who write regularly on their blogs.

I’ve tried to be honest and vulnerable here with my words and images. I’ve put myself out there as much as I can and have felt both rewarded and frowned upon for doing so. It’s reassuring to know that I share the desire for truth, honesty and vulnerability with others. True intimacy must start with us but it needs company and connection to flourish.

I think it takes courage and hope to be honest with ourselves about what we wish for and what we want and need in our lives. Unfortunately we don’t live in a society that encourages us to be individuals or to think for ourselves. We’re taught to want whatever the media tells us we want and to do our best to ‘keep up with the neighbours’.

Being vulnerable is looked down upon as being weak – but really it’s just the opposite. Strength is what we need to ask and answer the tough questions for ourselves. It takes strength to say no to the media’s onslaught and the pressure to maintain the status quo and that strength can’t come until we allow ourselves to feel vulnerable.

By admitting, acknowledging and talking about what we really and truly need to be happy and joyful we help others feel safe to do so also. I’m not afraid to admit to needing connection and small simple moments with friends both near and far. I can admit to wanting and needing a sense of community and contribution. I can also admit to needing the odd Mars bar to satisfy an unknown craving – what do you need for a happy and joyful life? 

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Lynne. I can certainly relate! I'm new to this blogging malarky, & have found it challenging putting myself out there. Yet it feels like something I need to do at this time. Mmm...Mars bars!! A cuo of tea & doggy cuddles are good too!
    Love & Faery blessings, Ace x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. By nature I'm VERY introverted and I had been tossing around the idea of a blog for a long time and when my Dad died late last spring I decided it was a good time to jump in. Some days it feels really hard but all days it brings me joy, and that's what I'm aiming for!!

    I agree...a cup of tea and doggie cuddles are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete