Thursday, June 14, 2012

Procrastination and Wasted time


“How you do anything is how you do everything.” ~ Brooke Castillo

I heard this quote the other day on one of the recordings from The Self Love Revolution (theselfloverevolution.com) and I can’t get it out of my head. The more I think about it the more it appears to be true, and that makes me sad and mad because I realize I have a pattern and it’s not a good one.

I might regret this; but here goes - I think about doing something, and then I think about it a little more, and then a lot more and then I usually do something towards what I’m going to do that’s very small and then I think some more (all the while telling myself that I need to make sure I’ve thought it through thoroughly), then I distract myself from whatever it is by playing computer games or reading or the ever popular Facebook and only when I’ve procrastinated the absolute most I can I do whatever it is that needs to be done and because I’ve put it off for so long it likely needs to be done in a hurry or all at once and then I end up exhausted and overwhelmed.

What I’ve described above is how I do everything from deciding on dinner, to weeding the garden, to deciding on a holiday or taking a course. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a big important thing I need to do or the most mundane household chore. My pattern is my pattern is my pattern. Brooke is right when she says how I do anything is how I do everything.

Writing it down and seeing it in front of my eyes makes me realize how much time I waste working up to stuff; no wonder I never get anything done. I’ve always been aware I procrastinate but I apparently wasn’t aware of exactly how much.

I’ve written it down, acknowledged it and now what? How do I change a shitty pattern that clearly needs changing? I’m reminded of what John Assaraf told me about trading my life for my dreams....right now I’m trading my life for procrastination and wasted time.

Good to know....or not, I haven’t decided yet. L

2 comments:

  1. the first step toward making a change is acknowledging that there is change to be made. you are on your way. baby steps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alisha! I'm working at it...as you say in baby steps, they seem to be the only ones I'm capable of right now so I'm grateful for them.

    ReplyDelete