Thursday, November 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Mark


Today would have been my brother’s 40th birthday.

It’s hard to believe that my baby brother would have been forty and it’s hard to believe still that he’s gone.

Rather than mourning him today I want to celebrate the good memories – I want to remember that he wasn’t who he became towards the end of his life. I want to remember that he was a crazy smart guy with a wicked sense of humour. I want to remember the sensitive person who held my babies with loving care and divine attention. I want to remember his laugh, his thoughtfulness and his quirkiness.

When Mark was about 20 he commissioned a pewter cross from an artist he knew and I just loved it. He wore it all the time and I admired it very vocally every chance I got. When my boys were christened Mark asked the minister if he would bless the cross and our minister being a very open minded soul agreed. After it had been blessed Mark gave it to me.

I will never forget that moment.

I’ve cherished it every day since and decided to have it tattooed on my back for my fortieth birthday and Jon decided to have a matching on done at the same time.

Me, Mark and Shane
at the christening; notice
Mark's wearing the cross.
Mark = cross = christening = the gift of the cross = cherished gift = 40thbirthday tattoo = Jon’s matching tattoo = Mark.

It’s funny how memories tie themselves all together, and thank God they do.

Happy Birthday Mark. I miss you and I love you.




1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that the tattoos remind you of him. I do feel the need to point out that although mine is matching, it's on the side of my right calf.

    ReplyDelete