Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo


In 2010 and 2011 I talked myself out of participating in NaNoWriMo – National Novel Writing Month. This year I’ve managed to talk myself into participating.

Starting today and running through the month of November I will be attempting towriting a novel. To “win” at NaNoWriMo I have to write a novel (it must be fiction) that is at least 50,000 words and I must have it completed, uploaded and counted by midnight local time November 30th 2012.

For those of us who like details or are math oriented that works out to be about 1700 words a day, which if you don’t write regularly might seem like it would be easy to accomplish. It’s not.

I will continue to write here too – it’s going to be a month of writing (and probably not much else). J Good thing I don’t usually start my Christmas shopping until early December!

Throughout the month I’ll keep you up to date on my word count. I’d very much appreciate your support and words of encouragement. This is a big dream for me and I’m shaking in my boots just contemplating it, so I’ll happily take any love you’d like to send my way. I’m also open to a few ass kickings – you can be sure I’m going to procrastinate and find a million reasons why the dishes need done and the closets organized instead of getting in my 1700+ words a day.

I hope you’ll take a few minutes to check out http://www.nanowrimo.org/, and maybe even donate to a great cause. There’s a lot of fun info on the site. It’s interesting to see how many writers have attempted to write in all the years since it started and the number or writers who’ve actually completed a novel.

I’m very much hoping that the first year I participate in NaNoWriMo will be the first year I complete a novel.

Wish me luck and send me love!




6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the novel, Lynne! Any hints as to what it is about? Or is it going to be a big reveal at the end of the month?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I need all the luck I can get!

      Since the only novels I ever read are paranormals it'll be about something along those lines. A shapeshifting water spirit is what I'm working on so far...and since I don't have much time I don't think I'll be changing my mind. lol.

      If you have time later in the month I send you some to read!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Lynne,
    This is so cool what you are doing. I have just made up my mind to write a children's novel...fear got in my way and a whole lot of procrastination! I would love it if you can include me on your "send me some to read" list...Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen,

      I let fear get in the way for years. Not this year, I'm determined this time. The thing about NaNoWriMo is that it's all about quantity and not quality. It's about getting the words out and down on paper and then editing (if you want to) after the 30 days are up. It's more about creativity and accomplishment that writing a masterpiece. I'm excited! :)

      Delete
  3. Good luck and perseverance Lynne! Awesome goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! So far so good, I'm at about 7800 words and counting.

      Delete