Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bookshelf Challenge


I love books. I love old books and new books and any kind of book at all. Of course I have genres that appeal to me more than others, but mostly I just love books.

I've been reading since I was 4 and I've long ago lost count of how many I've read over the last 40 years.

We live with so many of them the question I am most often asked when people see my library is "Have you actually read them all?" To which I can (and do) proudly respond with - about 98% of them; yes.



I  have 67 more shelves just like this one and I've challenged myself to read one book from each shelf gradually (and in no rush) over the next coming months. I've always been a re-reader but usually it's an intuitive thing. I'll just amble through the books and read whatever catches my eye on that particular day.

This challenge is a bit more structured. My first choice on each shelf will be the book I haven't yet read (if there is one), and if not then I'll likely reach for the one I either enjoyed the most or the least.

I'm starting with a beloved childhood classic. Little Women.

Here's a picture of my original copy...as you can see I've had it since 1974 and it cost a whole $1.29 (I can't even tell you how much I wish we could still buy books for that price!!) It's a little beat up and worse for wear but that's part of the charm of re-reading old books - especially old ones from our childhoods.



What are your beloved childhood books?


2 comments:

  1. I have gotten rid of a lot of my books, because I had so many I ran out of room! But I do love them, and like you, have devoured books since I was little. My favorite ones as a child? I loved the Dr. Seuss books! And then, later, Sleeping Beauty. Nancy Drew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love Dr. Seuss! I think I'm going to get hung up on my kids shelf...there are a lot of great books there. It's been years and years since I read a Nancy Drew - I just might have to do that. :)

      Delete