Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Quiet Kind of Joy


The seasons all have their distinct energy. Spring is bursting, happy and light. Summer feels abundant and full, fall feels calm and nurturing and winter brings a quiet and subtle energy.

Fall has always been my favourite season. The soft light, the shorter days and the preparation for winter always make me feel more like myself than any other time of year. It feels bittersweet to watch my beloved gardens go to sleep for the winter but the yearly routine of nesting and of slowing down is the balance I need at this time of year.

When the fall breeze turns chilly and the days begin to shorten I know that I can come home to myself and settle in for the long winter. The radiant colours of the fall feel like Mother Nature giving us her all before she takes her nap and refreshes herself for the following spring.

At this time of year there's time for us to pause and to take a deep breath. We can slow down from our harried pace of the summer months. We can prepare our homes and gardens for the upcoming rest, and we can tune in deeply to the beauty that surrounds us easier now than at other times of the year.

As I sit here right now the breeze is blowing and I can hear both the leaves rustling and my wind chimes playing me a beautiful tune. I can look out my window and see the leaves just starting to change and the birds playing around the feeders. I'm feeling calm and centered and a little introspective.

There is a quiet kind of joy being in tune with the seasons and my little slice of heaven. I'm so grateful - can you feel it too?



3 comments:

  1. Your way of describing your "quiet kind of joy " is wonderful and one can easily capture the feelings that come to mind when we experience the fall season. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy...I'm glad you're here :-)

      Delete
  2. "Fall has always been my favourite season. The soft light, the shorter days and the preparation for winter always make me feel more like myself than any other time of year. It feels bittersweet to watch my beloved gardens go to sleep for the winter but the yearly routine of nesting and of slowing down is the balance I need at this time of year.

    When the fall breeze turns chilly and the days begin to shorten I know that I can come home to myself and settle in for the long winter. The radiant colours of the fall feel like Mother Nature giving us her all before she takes her nap and refreshes herself for the following spring." ~~Beautiful writing!! And exactly the way I feel about fall, myself. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete