Monday, October 21, 2013

The Last Blooms

I've been slowly putting my gardens to bed for the coming winter. I have a few things to do yet though. My roses need covered, we still need to harvest our onions and leeks, we have one tiny tree to plant but as soon as those things are done I'll have to live by my garden dreams alone.

Jon made me a new bed last weekend and I planted about 110 spring bulbs. I took some shots of the few remaining blooms. I love our seasons, but it's sad when I know my blooms are done for another year.

"The earth laughs in flowers" - Ralph Waldo Emerson



I have a few cosmos still blooming and I guess I probably will until we get our first snow fall - thank God for cosmos!


My morning glories didn't do very well this year - in fact I didn't even get a blossom until September, but I have a few still hanging on.



I have a few wild roses and a few roses still blooming. Unless we get a hard frost in the next week or so I might still get a few more roses too!




My sweet peas did about as well as my morning glories this year but as of late last week I still had a bloom or two. They're so beautiful and the fragrance is just wonderful - the memories will hold me through the winter.


A random lupin...I started these from seed this spring expecting to get a few blooms early next summer. It's a little out of season, but I'm not complaining!


8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those are gorgeous, Lynne!! I have trouble keeping plants alive. I had thought to try again this year with a chrysanthemum, but am not sure I am up to it. So disheartening when it doesn't work out. OTOH, though, I did keep a mum alive for almost a year once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep at it! You'll find the perfect plant companion eventually. I've been 'practicing' for years and years now. I think they know how much I love them so they do well because of it.

      Delete
  2. Awesome roses! I still need to get G to till a piece for moving my aronia bushes, the deer keep nibbling the ends off where they are now. In fact, it has to be tomorrow, because after that they forecast rain and rain and rain and our soil is clay, clay, clay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      We've been really lucky with the deer - they're very rarely in the yard. I think it's the dogs that keep them away. More dogs!! :-) We're also on several feet of clay..lots of compost has helped here.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the dog is getting on, half deaf and slow, and her "brother" had to be put down June last year, he was the local policeman. Still miss that silly old boy...

      Delete
    3. We had two blind dogs at one point but one of our "babies" had to be put to sleep also. It's so hard to do...they're such a big part of our lives. We currently have 3 - one of them is old and blind but she's our favourite so we don't mind. :-) I could probably have a whole house full of them but my hubby has put his foot down - NO MORE! (for now anyway) ;-)

      Delete
    4. I'm down from 4 horses, 6 cats and two dogs, to half of each. While I miss them all and still hurt from some of the circumstances, it IS more managable now. One cat and pony are 15, one cat and the dog 11, one horse 20, so what I do when they also pass, I'm not sure. It's been rough, but otoh it would be strange with an empty house too.

      Delete
    5. I'd love to have all those animals! We only have our three dogs. Although hubby and I are thinking of moving to a larger property so we can grow some animals. Cows, pigs, chickens etc. We have about 7.5 acres so we could do it here but we'd like to do it on a bigger scale. We'll see - it's at least several years down the road.

      Delete