Thursday, February 6, 2014

An Occasional Feature - A Book Review

Many of you know how obsessed I am with reading and books. I'm not sure what's taken me so long to get to this but I've decided to review the occasional book. I read so many of them that I thought I'd share some that I love and some that I don't.

I read a lot of different books in a lot of different genres but I'll likely stick with self-help and books that may help us lead deeper, fuller and healthier lives. 

If you have any suggestions of books you'd like to see reviewed or books you think I might be interested in please leave me comment.

My first book is The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown, Ph.d., L.M.S.W.




I was introduced to Brene Brown a few years ago when one of her TED talks went viral. I was immediately drawn to her work and bought this book. I read it then and honestly I didn’t get very much out of it. It was recommended to me by one of my fellow coaching students again a few weeks before Christmas and I thought I’d give it another go.

I really like the way the author writes; it’s clear and concise, but I find it lacking in one way. I feel as though while she writes personally about herself the book would benefit from a few more personal stories of the people she interviewed.

On the whole I liked it and I’d recommend it to someone who’s new to Brene’s work. If you’re interested but not enough to read the book then I’d suggest watching her Ted talks; she’s a warm and engaging speaker and her talks will leave you feeling good about being yourself.

Here’s my favourite quote from the book:

“Caution: If you trade in your authenticity for safety, you may experience the following: anxiety, depression, eating disorders, addiction, rage, blame, resentment and inexplicable grief.”


I’m giving this book 3.5 stars out of 5 (and her talks 5 out of 5).

~~~~~


I'd also love to hear your opinions on the books I've reviewed (if you've read them and you have something positive to add to the conversation). You don't have to agree with me, but you do have to be nice. 
J


4 comments:

  1. Lynne - I read this book recently as well. And like you I was a little disappointed; I was hoping to get a little more out of it. I am currently reading "Quiet" by Susan Cain and I am finding some very insightful information in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I've read quite a bit on introversion and I find the differences between introverts and extroverts endlessly fascinating so I have 'Quiet' on my to read list. I'm looking forward to it - whenever I get there (there are a lot of books on my to read list), lol!

      Delete
  2. I love this book for using it in the course we do over at the Creative Grief Studio precisely because we can use it to pull out and fill out the personal stories of participants and that makes it so much more dynamic. It's an interesting piece to use as a tool in that way, but I know what you mean about it being a little thin as a stand alone, Lynne. Loving the surf through your site! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by Kara! Thanks for surfing through, there's lots here for sure....every part of my life for the last few years has been documented. Big changes are underway though; as you know ;-)

      Delete